Clogs are on the top list of the most common plumbing problems in every home or even business establishment. Blockages aren’t surprising at all because our plumbing pipes (especially the drainpipes) are exposed to a lot of substances that accumulate overtime thus causing the issue. These substances include but are not limited to food particles, waste materials, paper products, grease, dirt, minerals from hard water, scum from shampoo and toothpaste and even foreign objects such as toys and bones. However, with proper care and maintenance, they can surely be prevented. Read on and find out how you can avoid such an annoying plumbing emergency!
1. Do not pour grease down the drain. To dispose of used oil, just simply put it in a coffee can or any sealed container then dispose of it in the trash. Some people also recycle used oil by utilizing it in compost pits or applying it on stuck door hinges.
2. Screen traps or drain grates are cheap tools that you can use to cover your drain’s opening. They will lessen the amount of hair, food particles, scum and dirt that will get into the pipes.
3. Regularly clean your drains to consistently get rid of the substances that cling on to the walls of the pipes. There are cleaners that you can buy from groceries or plumbing supply shops but we suggest using home remedies. Here are some quick DIY solutions you can try:
a. Baking Soda & Vinegar
b. Alka Seltzer Tablets & Vinegar
c. Enzymatic Cleaners
4. Pour hot water in your kitchen sink drain before going to sleep at night. This will wash away the grease in the system and prevent the buildup of substances.
5. When using your garbage disposal, remember not to grind coffee grounds, stringy vegetables, potato peelings, rice and pasta among many others. These food items will either get stuck in the machine or clog your drain pipes.
6. Even when your pipes get clogged or smelly, don’t make a habit of pouring harsh chemicals down the drains. These toxic ingredients will just damage your pipes over time.
We hope that with these tips that we shared, you’ll prevent clogged pipes in your home. Should you need professional plumbing assistance, just hire the most trusted Florida City plumber in Dade County FL! Plumbers 911 Florida provides first-rate and affordable plumbing services in Florida City including drain pipe cleaning, sewer camera inspection, leak detection, plumbing installation and many more! Call us now at 305-662-0668 (Miami-Dade), 954-468-0512 (Broward) or 561-327-6287 (Palm Beach)!
Get 100 dollars off our next service call-out in your home! Watch this video to learn how!