Installing a bathtub is not an easy task. We recommend seeking the assistance of trusted and licensed plumbers for this kind of job. However, if you are interested in knowing how this bathroom fixture is installed, let us share a DIY guide with you!
1. Carefully place the bathtub on the installation area. Make sure to mark the area where the top of the tub reaches the wall studs. Also take time to mark the spot where the ledger’s top will reach. In most cases, these two spots are a few inches away from each other. This marked space should be adequate to provide support to the bathtub’s edges.
2. Install the ledger board and use drywall screws to secure them. Ensure that the board is level.
3. Afterward, proceed with the assembly of the shoe fitting. This should be positioned under the bathtub’s drain pipe or basically, under the tub. Turn the tub on its side first to be able to access the floor underneath. Dry fit the drain pipe and the supply pipes as well. This should allow you to identify where they should be installed later.
4. Install the fitting and then the bathroom’s overflow pipe. Ensure that they are positioned properly and aligned with the tub’s drain opening.
5. When you’re done with this, apply putty around the drain flange. Remember to install the washer on the shoe fitting as well. Afterward, screw the drain flange and ensure that it’s leak-free.
6. Now, install the drain pipe to the tub and secure it with screws. Cover the overflow pipe with its lid as per the directions of the manufacturer.
Secure The Bathtub
1. Spread the mortar onto the subfloor of the area where you’ll install the tub. It should be approximately 2 inches in terms of thickness.
2. Check the tub and ensure that it’s level. If it’s not, put shims under it.
3. Secure the bathtub flange with the use of galvanized nails. Take precaution when doing this task to avoid damaging the tub.
4. Once done, connect the water supply pipes as well as the tub’s drain pipe. There should be a slip connection on the tub’s drain. Pull it down and then proceed by checking the slip nuts. These should be tight.
5. Finally, apply putty onto the drain pipe and then press it down to secure it. Check the cap and make sure that it’s tight as well.
6. Afterward, screw the cold and hot water faucets to their respective supply pipes. Seal them with the use of a joint compound. Install the faucet handles and then turn on the water supply. Turn the faucet on and make sure that they’re working. Check the faucets, pipes and tub for leaks.
We hope that you learned all about bathtub plumbing installation through our blog today. If you have a new tub or need to replace your old one, just call the most reliable Beacon Hill plumbing company. Plumbers 911 Boston provides excellent plumbing services in Beacon Hill MA including plumbing fixture installation, plumbing appliance installation, toilet repair, faucet repair, leak detection and many more! Call us at (877) 754-2139 to schedule a service!
Learn more about our excellent plumbing services! Watch our video below.