As experts say, “Prevention is better than cure.” Though this is a popular health / medical adage, we also apply it in plumbing and other aspects of home improvement and maintenance. Truly, it is better to care for your home regularly to keep it at tip-top shape rather than seek the assistance of plumbing professionals only when plumbing emergencies arise. You’ll discover that you can avoid expensive repair expenses if you’ll consistently maintain your plumbing system. With that being said, let us give you a plumbing inspection checklist that you can use for your home.
1. Vents play an important role in your plumbing system. They contribute in the efficient flow of sewage from your drain lines to the septic tank or the public sewer where your property is connected to. Make sure that your dry vents are kept clean. The vent fans must not accumulate dust and the vent hose should never get blocked up.
2. When your drains get slow, it may be a result of a clogged drainpipe or a blocked up vent pipe. Have these two checked immediately and get rid of the blockage to make your drains efficient again. You’ll know that there’s a blockage somewhere when your drains are gurgling or bubbling.
3. Your toilet is an important fixture in your home. Make sure that it’s not wobbling or rocking. If it is, have it checked because the flange may already be worn out. That part should be replaced immediately to prevent accidents.
4. Toilet leaks are common plumbing issues that homeowners face. The throne may actually leak at the base or in between the tank and the bowl. To check if the tank’s components are still intact, pour some food coloring inside the tank. Leave the fixture for a few minutes then check the bowl. If the water inside the bowl turns the same color, a leak is confirmed.
5. Aside from fixture leaks, also check them for cracks. Inspect your bathtubs and sinks as well. If the cracks are too deep, you might want to replace the fixtures to avoid accidents. If the cracks are shallow and look like hair strands, they can be easily repaired.
6. If you live in an area where there’s hard water, there will come a point when your shower will only provide a little water. Remove the shower system’s aerator and check if there’s already a buildup of sediments there. If there are, soak the aerator in a solution made from water and vinegar to remove the debris.
7. Over time, you’ll find out that your shower knobs and faucets are already difficult to turn. Inspect these parts and check if the screws along the escutcheon plates are worn out or corroded. Replace them if necessary.
8. Now you must have a water heater at home. Flush its tank regularly to remove the sediments that accumulate at the bottom. Doing so will make the water heater more efficient.
9. If you have a gas water heater, make sure that you’ll inspect its burner chamber. Watch out for rust flakes and observe the flame’s color. It must be blue. If it’s already yellow, the burner must be cleaned.
10. Washing machines are also indispensable appliances that make use of your plumbing. Make sure that its drain hose is still in good condition. If it’s brittle, cracked or damaged, replace it.
11. There are times when there’s low water pressure. You’ll notice this when you’re getting a little water from your faucets or when the toilet has a weak flush. It’s possible that the water flow should only be increase by turning the valve. If that won’t solve the problem, have your main shut off valve turned.
12. When it comes to metal pipes, it is important that you check them for green stains. These stains indicate electrolysis which happens when two different types of metals are connected. In other words, the fittings and pipes are mismatched. Have the fittings replaced to avoid leaking.
13. Lastly, be aware of leaks in your home. Attend to exposed pipes that leak immediately. If you notice stains on your ceilings, walls and foundations, have them checked right away because the pipes underneath them may be leaking.
We hope that you enjoyed reading home inspection checklist for plumbing. If you need help with your plumbing, just call the best Braintree plumber for home inspection. Plumbers 911 Boston provides local plumbing services in Braintree MA including gas system installation, home remodeling, plumbing appliance installation, plumbing fixture repair, home remodeling and many more! Call us at (877) 754-1048 to schedule a service!
Watch this video and learn the three big no-nos of DIY plumbing!