We use our faucets every day. We turn on the tap to wash our hands, cleanse our bodies and wash our veggies.
A kitchen tap that’s dripping or filled with lime and buildup stains should not be taken for granted.
If you notice your water faucet leaking or if you need to find out how to fix a leaky bathtub faucet, read on..
In This Article, We Will Be Covering:
- Removing lime and buildup stains on your faucet
- Top leaky faucet repair signs to watch out for
- What should be done to fix your leaky faucet
- Common leaking tap repair problems
- Causes of dripping faucet repair problems
- What to do when your kitchen tap is dripping
- The how-to’s of shower faucet repair
- How to fix your leaking outdoor faucet
- 5 easy steps to fixing your dripping faucet
- Top 5 kitchen faucet brands that give you bang for your buck
- Why you should call a professional plumber to help
- Why call Plumbers 911 for your leaking tap repair
How to Remove Lime and Buildup Stains on Your Faucet
Pesky lime and hard-water buildup can be hard to remove and frustrating to work with. There are several solutions, however, that will dissolve calcium and lime deposits that accumulate over time.
Just as important though, is to determine if a leaky faucet is causing the buildup. The stains can be a sign that your faucet is in need of repair. This article will provide information on how to remove stains and then how to prevent them in the first place.
There are several homemade and store-bought solutions that remove lime and mineral deposits from bathroom and kitchen faucets.
- Acids. Acid will dissolve lime and mineral stains. Acid can be found in household products like vinegar or lemon juice. Simply rub into the stain to dissolve the buildup. Take care not to leave the acid on for too long, as it may corrode the surface of the faucet or sink.
- White vinegar and baking soda. For extremely stubborn stains, mix vinegar and baking soda to create a paste. Scour the surface using a soft brush or a sponge. This method is especially good at removing hard water stains.
- Commercial Products like C-L-R. Commercial products like C-L-R will remove calcium, lime, and mineral buildup. Follow all instructions when using these products.
Once stains have been removed, check to make sure that a drip or a leak is not causing the buildup. A drip occurs when the water is turned off. A leak occurs when the water is on and is leaking out of the base of the spout.
5 Top Leaky Faucet Repair Signs to Watch Out
For Before Calling Our Chicago Plumbing Experts
It is unfortunate that a lot of people have the habit of ignoring such problems when they perceive that it is still “manageable”. Our contractors are usually called in when the damage is already at its worst. During this time, it is natural that the repair will take more time and other resources to complete.
To avoid a costly and time-consuming restoration job, you should call our specialists immediately once you observe any or most of the following signs of a defective faucet:
The sound and sight of water dripping from your tap (when it is supposed to be fully closed) is the most common indication that there is something wrong – either there is extremely strong water pressure in the pipes or the valves are already malfunctioning.
Regardless of the cause, you should never ignore this with just a mere hope that it will eventually go away because it won’t; unless you do something about it.
Irregular Water Flow
If you no longer experience a steady stream of flowing water but rather a mere few drops followed by spurts of water every few seconds, the aerator may be clogged or there are other issues that need fixing.
When you are already having a hard time controlling the flow of water because the handle no longer works properly or some of the components are already falling apart, it is evident that you cannot simply let this matter go.
Corrosion and Mineral Deposits
Rust is probably the most common enemy of this fixture as it is in constant contact with water. Rust and mineral deposits cause damage and if you fail to address it immediately the same could even be irreparable.
Rough faucet handle
A tap handle that is already squeaky or rough can be a symptom of various problems such as worn-down stem, among others.
You should be wary of the sound your faucet makes. If you start hearing screeching, clicking, or other weird sounds coming from your faucet then it is a sign of several problems that might be going on not only in the tap itself but even in your home’s plumbing system.
The items above are just some of the tell-tale signs that are readily observable, which means you can hardly miss them (unless you want to).
Here’s What Should Be Done to Fix Your Leaky Faucet
- Replace the washer inside the faucet at the base of the handle. The new washer must be the exact right size, or it will not create an adequate seal to prevent water from dripping out of the handle. Take the old washer with you to a hardware store in order to purchase the right size washer.
- Replace a faulty O-ring.The O-ring prevents water from leaking out around the spout. If this ring is deteriorated, water will appear at the base of the faucet spout every time you run the water. To repair, remove the spout and replace the O-ring with a new ring of the exact same size. Then reassemble the faucet.
- Make sure the faucet’s packing nut is tightly secured. Install new packing, which is the soft wiring that wraps around the stem of the faucet. Then apply a coat of petroleum jelly on the threads of the stem and the packing nut.
Addressing them by calling our technicians the moment you notice them will be cost-effective and more beneficial in the end. Call in one of our expert Chicago plumbers for help.
What are the Common Leaking Tap Repair Problems?
- Dripping Faucets
- Low Water pressure
- Loose parts, or worn out seals
- Valve seat issue
A dripping faucet and low water pressure are just two of the main reasons to replace or repair your kitchen faucet.
A Loose or damaged, or improperly installed washer
The washer in the faucet can become dislodged, or become damaged over time. This will cause a leak but is an easy repair for a professional. If a washer was not installed properly then it will also cause leakage.
Valve seat has become corroded
This provides the connection between the faucet, and the compression mechanisms spout. A corroded valve seat can cause leakage as water sediments can accumulate on the valve. Our professional plumbers can ensure that it is cleaned and not corroded.
When the O-ring (a small disc attached to the screw that holds the handle in place. If this disc becomes dislodged, breaks, or wears out, then leakage can occur and will be near the handle.
A seal may be worn out- there are two types of seals in a faucet, one that sits near the inlet of the faucet and one that sits near the outlet. If these accumulate sediment; which can happen with regular use, then seals may wear out. Our professional technicians can ensure that the sediments are cleaned from your faucet regularly to help keep them functioning correctly.
Some of your faucet parts are loose
A loose part such at the O-ring, packing nuts, or even a steam screw can happen with general use. Leakage will happen when this occurs and these parts will either need to be replaced, tightened or put back in place to help stop the leakage.
4 Causes of Top Dripping Faucet Repair Problems
Most faucet problems can be accounted for during the initial installation. Trying to do the setting up of a new faucet can be well and good if you were able to go by the process with the installation guide.
However, if you just tried to fit it like a jigsaw puzzle, you could eventually miss something which could probably be a big problem in the long run.
Leaks are the most common problem with faucets. It is often the most visible problem that one can see to determine if there is an issue. Leaks can originate from various areas including from the aerator, to base of the spout or the underside of the handle.
Repairing leaks can be quite simple and easy. Most of the time, they can be mended with faucet repair parts such as the O-ring which can be damaged quickly.
Sluggish water pressure
Unusual drops in water pressure is also a common problem. Most of the time, this can be caused by an increase of mineral deposits inside the faucet system called lime-scale. Lime-scale problems are more common in houses with hard water supply and can be solved by thoroughly removing the build-up inside the faucet.
Although a sluggish water pressure can be a symptom of a bigger problem. In this cases, Plumbers 911 Chicago can assess the systems and put everything in tip-top shape.
Deterioration and corrosion
Taps deteriorate with constant use. Major segments inside the faucet can start to corrode and grow rust. They can be visibly seen outside, plus the water coming out can be tarnished with rust.
This greatly affects the quality and tolerability of your water supply. Corrosion can be a major problem if the faucet has aged over time.
What to Do When Your Kitchen Tap is Dripping
Do-it-yourself repair can be quite simple to do. You just need basic tools like screwdrivers, a wrench, and a pliers.
- The initial process goes by turning off the water valve located under the sink and letting the excess water drain from the faucet. Loosen and remove the handle using a wrench.
- Use the fliers to separate the bonnet. Then take out the ball and cam assembly.
- A spring is located inside the furnishing. Fish it out with a pliers as well as the packing pieces. It is also good to clean any sediment build up trapped inside.
- Remove the O-rings and the diverter with pliers and also clean any sediments.
- Once the faucet face has been cleaned of debris, you can restore the components by putting the new diverter first. Then the new set of O-rings. It is also good if you can coat them with grease to repel high water temperatures.
- Then put the spout back into place and finish the installation.
The How To’s of Shower Faucet Repair
A leaky shower can waste hundreds of gallon of water if left unrepaired. They can cost much more if you have hot water dripping as they can squander a serious amount of energy. To fix, you need to:
- Start off by separating the faucet handle from the main system. Newer showers have their screw hidden below the cover cap and the older ones have their screws exposed.
- Once the cover caps are removed, detach the locking screw by twisting it counterclockwise. Use a faucet puller to remove the handle.
- Additionally, remove the trim and the sleeve that aligns with the faucet stem. A special device like a deep socket can be used to detach the stem from the valve. Then take the faucet stem and remove it out of the valve.
- Replace major components like the O-rings, flat washers and seals with a new one.
- Then reassemble the components back into the shower faucet system. It is also good to use plumber’s grease to oil the threads.
How to Fix Your Leaking Outdoor Faucet
Repairing your outdoor tap can essentially save you much money that can damage your exterior property and eventually leakage in your basement. Fixing it can be simple to do with these tips.
- The first thing to do is to locate the supply valve which can be typically found in the basement or under the kitchen sink.
- Remove the spigot by twisting it with a crescent wrench. Check for any problems inside the spigot. The washer may be damaged or is placed improperly inside the spigot. This can be the cause of the problem.
- Replace the old washer with a new one then affix the valve and handle. Test the new installation for any additional problems.
- If there are still leaks after replacing the washer, there may be a different problem. Use a wrench to remove the handle and spigot from the faucet again, then turn the packing nut to extract it. Remove the packing nut and take off the faucet valve stem.
- Look for the washer found at the bottom end of the valve stem and replace it with a new one. Additionally, you can check for what causes the problem such as rust, corrosion or water build-up. You can also apply grease on the packing nut and the washer to lubricate it.
- Finally, you can attach the spigot and the faucet handle.
How to Fix Your Dripping Faucet in Five Easy Steps
If you don’t have time to call in one of our expert plumbers, here is what you can do (if you have tools handy in the house)
You will need the following:
WD-40 or CRC
Replacement washers and O-rings
Here’s what to do:
- The most important step before starting any plumbing job is to make sure that your main water supply is turned OFF. You don’t want to risk flooding your kitchen and getting all wet, do you?
- Remove any decorations from the faucet (like fancy handles)You will then see the how the basic faucet looks like. You will notice some knobs once the top part is removed.Under those knobs, you will see the screws that mount the handle to the stem.
Remove these and slowly take off the handle with the flat-head screwdriver. You can apply some WD-40 or CRC (oil) to make loosening easier so you could remove the faucet handle from the stem.
- Loosen the nut by using your wrench. While doing this, you will also see the stem and take this off too.Some faucet stems can get taken off quickly, while others (depending on the faucet model) can be twisted off. Ensure that you check if you’ve damaged any parts that you’ve removed.
- Check the O-ring and the washerbecause these could cause the leak.Remove these and put a replacement.It’s vital that your new washers or O-rings fit accurately.
If you are NOT certain, check the seat to find out if the sides would be able to fit a washer that is cone shaped or flat, so you can buy the right kind. Go to your local home depot or hardware, show them your old O-ring. That way, you can’t go wrong.
- Slowly put together the parts, then turn the knob to test if water will run. Once working, check to see if you’ve fixed the annoying drip.
If, after this attempt, you’ve failed to fix your leaky kitchen faucet, don’t waste more time and call us.
Faucet Replacement: Top 5 Kitchen Faucet Brands That Give You Bang for Your Buck
Before you hit the market to purchase a faucet, it is very important that you browse through the best faucet brands available in the market. As a consumer, it’s best to stay educated about ‘what’s hot and what’s not’ in the market.
Choosing the best faucet for you depends on a number of factors the first is installation and repair. How easy will it be for you to install and maintain your chosen faucet? The second is your faucets compatibility with your sink. Also, keep in mind your needs. Do you need it to have a sprayer and soap dispenser and do you prefer one handle or multiple?
Other factors to include the overall design, the warranty, and the material finish. The finish will determine how long the faucet will last you and maintain its original beauty.
A Hasty decision can leave you with an inferior product. So the best way to ensure that you do invest on a high-quality faucet is to purchase it from reputed brands. To help you with this, I have compiled a list of the 5 Top faucet brands available in the market currently:
#1: Delta Kitchen Faucet
Delta as a brand is well known among the consumers. In fact, many consider it the most reputed brand. Faucets manufactured by Delta showcase unique perfection and advanced technologies.
Before bringing the products to the market, Delta takes the time to test its products by turning them both on and off 500,000 times. These tests ensure that their faucets will not leak in the years to come.
Delta also conducts inspections of over 100 faucets on a daily basis manually to ensure that only best quality products are offered to its customers. The Delta kitchen faucets are available in the market with a Limited lifetime warranty.
#2: Moen Kitchen Faucets
Moen is one of the best faucet brands available on the market and offers a wide range of styles choose from. The faucets manufactured by Moen certainly do feature unique style. Customers can choose from; 90-degree faucets, Align, Ascent, Indi, Level, and Modern Pot filler styles. They can also browse by category.
These faucets feature the technology to ensure a perfect balance of water pressure and come in incredibly attractive designs to fit a wide range of budget needs.
#3: Kohler Kitchen Faucets
Kohler is one of the most celebrated consumer goods manufactured globally and has been manufacturing faucets since 1911. Kohler specializes in manufacturing kitchen faucets, engines power accessories, bathroom fittings, and other products.
#4: Kraus Kitchen Faucet
Kraus is also one of the top-rated companies pioneering in the production of high-performing kitchen faucets. The designs of faucets manufactured by this brand feature endless creativity. The brand promises you great quality alongside excellent style inspired by urban craftsmanship. The designs of kitchen faucets by Kraus focus on residential purposes. However, the faucets do offer the durability of commercial level designs.
#5: Grohe Kitchen Faucets
Grohe kitchen faucets target their consumer groups by offering them product innovation and urban design. The company has also been the recipient of many awards for their impressive faucet designs.
The faucets the company produces are beautiful and feature a specially designed system; hence the company is a leading brand in the industry. The faucets come with patented dream spray technology, which works to refine the spray pattern in the faucet.
The Best Pull-Down Kitchen Faucet
Delta Faucet 9178-AR-DST
The faucet has a teapot design that adds charm to its aesthetics. The model comes in five different colors. All the colors give this faucet its own impression and won’t give you a headache with creating a theme in your kitchen. They come in:
- Classic stainless steel
- Champagne bronze
- Venetian bronze
- Arctic steel
- Chrome steel
The faucet comes with a high arch spout that has the capacity to swivel a full 360 degrees for functionality. There is only one lever that controls the switching from hot and cold. Adjusting water flow is clear-cut because of the internal technology used
The Best Pull-Out Kitchen Faucet
The single lever pull-out faucet has an ergonomic and durable design that will fit every kitchen. The model comes in one color with a 100% solid stainless steel. It does not easily discolor or corrode.
Kraus KPF-2110 has two flow settings:
- Normal flow
The spray feature is conveyed through a 28-inch long nylon braided hose. You simply press the rubber button on top of the spout and when you are finished spraying, the hose will repeal back into the spout.
The Best Touchless Kitchen Faucet
Moen 7594ESRS Arbor
Moen 7594ESRS Arbor comes in three different colors:
- Stainless Steel
The faucet is ergonomically designed with a high arc pulldown spout and a nifty handle. Temperature adjustment and water flow is adjusted on the single handle it has which makes it perfect for water filling large pans and pots.
The faucet is equipped with MotionSense technology which makes running water fast with just a simple hand movement. This makes your job faster and alleviates germs spreading around as you do not have to touch the faucet. The faucet is very versatile as there are several ways of using the faucet by traditional and modern MotionSense Technology.
Why Should I Call a Professional Plumber for My Faucet Repair Issue?
There are a number of reasons people call a professional plumber to handle a specific repair issue they may have. The biggest is that they want it completed correctly. They do not want to buy the items to fix it, not repair it correctly and then still have to call a plumber, it is a waste of money.
Faucet repair is conducted when there is a problem with the fixture that needs to restore it to its former glory as soon as possible. It is important to have fixtures and other plumbing in your home inspected regularly, as to find any issues that should be corrected before causing your water bill to jump in the hundreds.
Here’s Why You Should Call Us to Fix Your Leaking Tap
We provide high-quality work.
Our specialists are licensed, highly skilled, and have years of experience to deliver outstanding results. Moreover, they undergo continuous education and training to ensure that they are updated on recent techniques and trends in the industry.
We care about our client’s peace of mind and emotional health.
We take care of everything and will not leave until the entire job is completed successfully so you can just relax, go on with your usual responsibilities, and do the things that you want to do.
We are always available to assist and help.
Our services are available 24/7, even during holidays and major occasions so you don’t have to wait for days to get something done. Whenever you need us, all you have to do is dial our number and will be there immediately.
We place a high regard on customer satisfaction and safety.
Our team of Illinois technicians undergo regular drug tests on top of skills enhancement activities so that you will feel safe when you call us inside your home.
We fully understand our clients’ needs.
Our fees are affordable and our work is reliable which means you are always on the receiving end, in terms of benefits
This just goes to show that calling our expert Chicago contractors to carry out faucet repairs and other plumbing-related work could provide numerous advantages that extend far beyond the actual job. Call us whenever you need help with your plumbing system and we would be more than pleased to assist you.